NIGERIA FISCAL CHALLENGES: FG Listen to Gov Obaseki.
The revelation by Gov. Obaseki should bring Nigerians to the point of reflection about the health and stability of our national economic life. Most federation units rely on Abuja for survival. The structure of Nigeria puts so much resources and control in the hands of the FG. So with the current state of things, there is need to stop and ponder the way out. The revelation around printing of naira notes to meet government’s financial responsibilities should frighten everyone into action.
- How do we move our country from a consumer economy to a production based economy?
- How do we implement strong fiscal responsibility measures to curb wattages and financial rascality?
- How do we properly invest in MSMEs as an engine of economic development?
- How do we turn the massive population mostly young to an advantage?
- How do we leverage all our natural endowments to turn around the fortunes of this nation?
- How do we create a finished goods export oriented economy instead of exportation of raw materials that comes back as finished goods at high cost?
- How do we improve effective communication between the leaders and the led?
We play too much politics with critical issues.
Methinks that even the current security challenges is more economical. You cannot have an army of unemployed, hoplesse young population and expect them to keep calm. The reaction from the youths seems to stem from lack of hope in the system. Maybe a sudden realization that there may be no real plans for them after all. Everyone the governed and the government must sit down to think us out of this quagmire. Our population is too much to toy with serious economic and fiscal stagnation.
A stitch in time saves nine.