Communique By Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council:
In a well-attended crucial General Meeting of Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council, being the Apex Social Cultural Organization of the people of Nine Local Government Areas that constitute Ukwa La Ngwa, otherwise known as Old Aba Division, in Abia State of Nigeria, held in Ohanze in Obingwa Local Government Area on Sunday 16th May, 2021, the Council, after intensive deliberation on the State of the Nation, especially as it affects general security of lives and properties of the People of Ukwa La Ngwa, unanimously arrives at and issues the following Communique;
(1) That the Leadership and Members of Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council are seriously perturbed by Avoidable Threats of Insecurity in the Nine Local Government Areas of Ukwa La Ngwa orchestrated by unlawfully devastating open grazing of cattle by dangerously-armed herdsmen,
(2) That as a People whose major occupation and source of livelihood is crop farming, food security for our people under the present menace posed by the herders can no longer be guaranteed,
(3) That apart from massive destruction of farms in Ukwa La Ngwa land due to unlawful and unacceptable open grazing of cattle by aggressively-hostile herders, the security of our people has come under constant threat due to unlawful penetration of our bushes by the armed herders,
(4) That Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council do whole-heartedly applaud the Government of Abia State under the dynamic leadership of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu for having earlier enacted a Law against Open Grazing in the State,
(5) That Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council equally commends the State Governors of Southern Nigeria for their visionary and bold steps against Open Grazing in the seventeen States of the South of Nigeria and their unequivocal demand for Restructuring of the Nigerian State,
(6) That Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council is in full support of security measures already put in place by Governor Okezie Ikpeazu in the State on Community Policing and also appreciates the formation of Ebube Agu Security Outfit by the Governments of the South-East,
(7) That Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council do, hereby, call on all Traditional Rulers in Ukwa La Ngwa to liaise with their Youths to take maximum advantage of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu’s policy on Community Policing in order to protect their communities,
(8) That Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council, being a very peaceful organization, do, hereby, call on all herders to avoid open grazing and breach of security in the Nine Local Government Areas of Ukwa La Ngwa and to steer clear of bushes in the area,
(9) That Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council states categorically that in as much as it is naturally inclined to peace in the area, it will not hesitate to take appropriate lawful measures to defend and protect the lives and properties of her people when subjected to unlawful threats and
(10) That Ukwa La Ngwa Elders’ Council do pass a Vote of Absolute Confidence In our Son and Brother, the Governor of Abia State, Okezie Victor Ikpeazu, Ph.D, for the able way he has, so far, piloted the affairs of the State, especially the Infrastructural Recovery in Aba.
(1) Dr Max Nduaguibe
(2) Sir Don Ubani; KSC, JP,
Okwubunka of Asa
Director of Media & Publicity.
Dated today, Sunday 16th May, 2021.